NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.49 average. Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2011, 00:31
NAXJA Member

Re: My "Hero" Blog

So I finished rebuilding my quad... Took it out for a ride on Monday at Carnegie. That thing keeps up with my dads 450r, its insane.

It was all fun and games until I crashed it. I tried stopping after wheeling off the trail on a skinny climb but slid backwards and lost control. I was thrown off the trail down the hill and then the quad came down and rolled over me, smashing my knee and head. The quad then proceeded to roll ~75 yards further down the hill.

I'm doing fine now.. just had a nice bump on my head and was pretty beat up/sore. The atv on the other hand needs new plastics, handlebars, and steering stem... $$$

On the other hand, I spent alot of money on the Jeep today... I bought a 29 spline 8.25", HP30 and carrier off of REVROK today, as well as some 4.88 gears and master install kits online. I can't wait to tear into these axles and get them geared ASAP!

Also, my birthday is coming up, so I'm hoping my family will put a few bucks towards 33's to get me started, and ill pay the rest.

SIERRAFEST HERE I COME!
Old September 7th, 2011, 00:40
NAXJA Member

So I guess I'm due for an update..

A lot has changed in the past 2 months or so..

First, I bought a D30 and 29 spline 8.25" off of REVROK as previously stated. I immediately tore into the 8.25 and discovered that it had a trac-lok limited slip. Score!

The week before the SierraFest, I brought my heep down to Golden State Motorsports in Sacramento and helped install my 4.88's. They have an awesome shop and do great work. Geared my axles for 100 bucks a pop and I even got to lend a hand!

Just after the install I drove to some tire market down the street and picked up some 33x12.50R15 GT Radial Adventuro M/T tires. They have a nice soft and sticky compound and aren't too loud on the highway. Couldn't beat the price either.

After work that week, I spent a lot of time getting everything to clear my new larger tires. The largest problem was clearing my front bumper. The ends of the tube on each side would rub against my tire during articulation. So I ended up cutting about 3" off of each side, and made new side supports that are up and out of the way. I also added a hockey puck to my redneck bump stop.

I also finished up my rear bumper, however I don't have any finished pics of it yet... So some teaser pics will have to do for now.

Rounded end caps
Old September 7th, 2011, 00:46
NAXJA Member

Then I was off to the Sierrafest! I had a great time, and met some really cool people. Id say it was one of my best wheeling experiences to date.

I came down on a rock pretty hard near the end of the deer valley trail and got high centered on my crossmember.. And bent the crap out of it in the process. This resulted in some intense driveline vibes all the way home.
I was, however, eventually able to straighten it out when I got home.

As some of you may have heard, I have been having some overheating issues. I had to pull over due to heat issues six times on the way up to Srmitchell's SR/DV run.

I am not all surprised, as I was pulling a trailer with two ATV's… with 31's, stock gears, and a 5 speed…. But I knew something was wrong when I was having heat issues on the way back from Sac (after getting my new tires) and 8:30 pm on highway 5… So I replaced the thermostat.

This is what my old one looked like when I pulled it out.

I was sure that fixed it…. until my temp gauge shot up to just before the redline twice on the way to the Sierrafest.

Im not quite sure what step to take next, but I'm leaning towards buying a new radiator. Any suggestions?

I think that pretty much brings it back up to speed. I am off at college now, so progress will be pretty slow, however I am hoping to make a little progress this weekend when I am home.

Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Feedback can only motivate me to do some more work on it!
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:18
NAXJA Forum User

Looks good man.

I cracked my radiator while i was visiting in the bay area, so I'm running just a autozone replacement. That, with 2- 97+ xj electric fans, and it stays cool.

Look here-
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1029678&page=27
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Did you get rid of your fan clutch?

How many rows is the stock cherokee radiator. I've been eyeing a fair priced 2 row recently.
Old September 8th, 2011, 14:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post

How many rows is the stock cherokee radiator. I've been eyeing a fair priced 2 row recently.
Stock can be a 1-row but most likely a 2-row. You can get 3 row "upgrade" radiators from 1-800-radiator or Auto Radiator Outlet (1-800-252-0333) pretty cheep, around $100+tax, and they usually ship for free. They are all metal and can even get to you the same day, if you're close to one of thier warehouses. There are probably others that may be just as cheep too. Some of the 3-rows use small tubes tho. You may get 3 rows of 1/2" tubes for example, which might not be an improvement over stock. I'm running a 2-row, but it's got 2 1" tubes and seems to be doing pretty good for me now that I put a good thermostat in that opens all the way (my last "new" one didn't open all the way, it kept getting hot at highway speeds). So see if you can get the spec's on whatever you are going to get to make sure it's not something that might actually have less tube surface area (cooling power)than what you already have. Also, if you go to OEM Tech forum and just search "radiator" or "overheating" you'll find plenty of info to digest. Good luck.
'91 Cherokee Larado, BDS 5.5" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 37" Patagonia MT's, 4:88's, 35-spline D44 w/ARB and Explorer disc's in back, F250 hp44 front w/E-Locker.
Old September 8th, 2011, 18:19
NAXJA Member

I've heard that with the 3-row radiators being so thick, their cooling is similar to that of a two row. Apparently that is because with three rows, it is hard to get enough air flow through to keep it cool enough. Wether that is typical internet BS or not, Im not sure. Anybody have input on that?

Thanks for the radiator shop info, ill give them a call.
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:51
NAXJA Member

From what I've been able to figure out, it's mostly the small tube size of some of the 3 rows that's the issue. Since the tubes are small they offer less surface area for the heat transfer. The 3 row radiators I've had, 2 different ones, didn't appear to be any thicker than the stock 2 row. They also didn't make much difference in my operating temps. If my "new" (at the time, anyway) thermostat had been opening all the way as it should have, either of those would probably have worked out fine. But because I had the new thermostat installed I kept thinking it was a radiator problem,which is why I had more than one aftermarket radiator.
'91 Cherokee Larado, BDS 5.5" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 37" Patagonia MT's, 4:88's, 35-spline D44 w/ARB and Explorer disc's in back, F250 hp44 front w/E-Locker.
Old September 11th, 2011, 21:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post

Well it's obviously off the jeep, but I still have it.

Its the high performance hayden model from kragen, and I also have the stock one. You want it? I'll sell it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 15:36
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Well it's obviously off the jeep, but I still have it.

Its the high performance hayden model from kragen, and I also have the stock one. You want it? I'll sell it.
Il have to check out the kragens one. Ive seen a few online for pretty cheap though.

So this past weekend I got my shackle relocation brackets installed. It took longer than expected because I had to drop my hitch to get the brackets on, but I finished it up in one night.

Heres some finished pics.

These ones show the shackle angle fairly well.. Its angled a little too much for my liking at the moment.

I had to chop off the end of my exhaust to clear my shackle bolt.

Im very surprised that the rear sits only a little bit higher than it was. I guess the angle of the shackle is flattening the spring out a bit.

So this next weekend if I make it home, I need to fine tune my shackle angle, and cut the back half of the bracket off so the shackle doesn't hit it during compression.

Next, I will have to find someone with a fork lift so I can cycle the suspension and measure for shocks and see if I will need an SYE or not.

Once I'm done with that, the plan is to install my T&T cutsom's frame stiffeners that I won at the sierrafest raffle, and then build a crossmember for the long arms I bought off of Tim. I guess I should fix my overheating problem too... but I wont be driving it much until winter anyways.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys!
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:07
NAXJA Member

Not much of an update.. Other than Im having a bunch of gear issues, but I dont feel like writing about that right now lol.

I drove (limped) it up to college this morning so I could bring it in to the shop that messed up my gears. Bought a day pass, parked it, and went to class. Came back and had something pink on my window.

I got a $43 ticket for "not being parked in the designated area". The school just wants my money.

Old October 11th, 2011, 01:07
NAXJA Member

Not much of an update.. Other than Im having a bunch of gear issues, but I dont feel like writing about that right now lol.

I drove (limped) it up to college this morning so I could bring it in to the shop that messed up my gears. Bought a day pass, parked it, and went to class. Came back and had something pink on my window.

I got a $43 ticket for "not being parked in the designated area". The school just wants my money.

Old December 11th, 2011, 14:02
NAXJA Member

Been a while since I've updated this.

Heres a video I never posted of a run up the steps on slick rock from october.

Also, I was able to pull a nice 18.83 MPG on my way home the other week!

Ill be heading back from college next week for a good 6 weeks or so of break. Between work and social life, I plan on getting a lot done on my hero.

- New steering/track bar made of 1.5" .25 wall DOM w/hiems, OTK.
- Build new crossmember
- Install long arms (on new crossmember^)
- Weld on T&T Customs frame stiffeners
- Fine tune shackle angle (or if I have enough time... )
- New shocks
- SYE

I will also be freshening up the paint underneath (long arms, steering), possibly with powdercoat. My question for you all is, what color? I cant seem to decide between red (which seems to fade to pink) or switch it up to orange. If I were to choose orange, I would remove the red pin stripe at the bottom of the doors, clean it up, and shoot it with a coat of flat black.

Opinions?
Old December 12th, 2011, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

I cant wait to go back to slickrock (without the turdy five)

Jeep is looking good Kevin. I kinda like your green and red theme. I think I may build a new front bumper for my Jeep. If so ill go in on some tube with you (if i can use your tube bender )

So when is it gonna be on 35's?
Old December 12th, 2011, 20:13
NAXJA Member

Thanks Connor. Order up some tube and come spend a weekend at my place, maybe we can whip together some sort of bumper, and then go wheel at Hollister hills or Carnegay

35's eh? Idk when that'll be. Probably after I wear these guys out, unless I can find a killer deal on some big-uns.