NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.49 average. Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2016, 22:43
NAXJA Member

Re: My "Hero" Blog

if you ever sell this, I am calling Dibs.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old March 22nd, 2016, 19:18
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1331 View Post
I've always wanted to try these. I hear they work really well for glue and pin strip removal without effecting paint.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1aavsnel4z_b
Those work good, so does googone with some low grease.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1331 View Post
I've always wanted to try these. I hear they work really well for glue and pin strip removal without effecting paint.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1aavsnel4z_b
Turn red and send me your address and I'll mail you one. I used it to get rid of the double sided tape from the trim pieces and have no use for it now.
Old March 28th, 2016, 16:48
NAXJA Member

I hahaha all yours jon

I ended up using a gasket scraper and a propane torch to liquefy and scrape off most of the goop. I'll try using MEK on the leftover residue.

So I was walking by the jeep the other day with a sawzall in my hand and slipped and fell into the jeep and accidentally cut a huge gaping hole in the floor.

Oops.
I'm part of the way done boxing it all back in. More progress tonight.

Build thread HERE
Old March 29th, 2016, 08:02
NAXJA Member

That is one big hole, holy s&@t... so what is your frame seperation now?. What material you using for your upper link. I have 1.5 .120 dom but might uses 1.75 to be safe. I Massage my floor the other night and can get 5-5.5 inches at frame...
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinhauler View Post
That is one big hole, holy s&@t... so what is your frame seperation now?. What material you using for your upper link. I have 1.5 .120 dom but might uses 1.75 to be safe. I Massage my floor the other night and can get 5-5.5 inches at frame...
My frame separation is adjustable now from 3.25-7". I have it set at 5.75" right now which puts me at around 74% anti-squat. I'm using 1.5" .25 wall DOM seeing how it will never contact rocks. 7/8 hiems in the upper.

Build thread HERE
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:33
NAXJA Member

my upper is 1.5 .250 wall DOM with 7/8ths heims. that is a fine setup for a upper honestly, and it clears exhaust and driveshafts easily.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old March 29th, 2016, 15:22
NAXJA Member

Filled the hole and burned er all in. Sheet metal is fun...

I left a hole in the top so I can access the link from the top for ease of adjustability. It will be covered with an oversized plate siliconed to the floor. Should seal up nice and be easy enough to remove to get to the upper link.

Time for the exhaust now!

Build thread HERE
Old March 30th, 2016, 12:44
NAXJA Member

Looking good Kevin, so have you driven it to see the difference? Have you measured the angle of the upper arm after raising the frame side mount? I am trying to get my axle tower correct height giving me 2 useable height. To dial it in, Maybe 1 degree and 3.5 degress angle down toward axle..
Old March 30th, 2016, 17:02
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinhauler View Post
Looking good Kevin, so have you driven it to see the difference? Have you measured the angle of the upper arm after raising the frame side mount? I am trying to get my axle tower correct height giving me 2 useable height. To dial it in, Maybe 1 degree and 3.5 degress angle down toward axle..

I have not had a chance to drive it yet and haven't measured the slope of the upper arm yet. I'll do that for you as soon as I can.

I did, however, get a little done on the exhaust today though. It's all tacked up there but I'm really not happy with it. Realistically I need to just start with all new tubing rather than chopping up and working with what I have. This stuff has been through like 4 or 5 different exhaust hack jobs. I might drop it off at an exhaust shop instead. I hate sheet metal, let alone round sheet metal aka exhaust tubing.

Build thread HERE
Old March 30th, 2016, 17:08
NAXJA Member

Gusset that UCA ! wont hurt anything and will help prevent it from ripping off. and spread the load along those weak little dana 30 tubes.

Old March 30th, 2016, 23:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondejoncherokee View Post
Gusset that UCA ! wont hurt anything and will help prevent it from ripping off. and spread the load along those weak little dana 30 tubes.
I'll definitely be gusseting the UCA mount. I'm actually going to tie it in with a truss when I pull the front axle back out...... For coilovers...

I bought another pair of 2.5 14" travel remote reservoir King coilovers off of my friends race truck today. These ones are for the heep. They're valved for the front of the jeep and have been completely rebuilt with new reservoirs, seals, wear bands, and fresh oil.

Note that I bought the coilovers, not the King Kong 4.0 bypasses haha.

So pretty soon I'll have to start clearing out the engine bay for shock hoops. Relocate the battery, coolant overflow, fuse box and intake and I should be on my way. Hopefully I'll have this done before I graduate.

Build thread HERE
Old April 5th, 2016, 22:08
NAXJA Member

So I finally got back to work on the exhaust today and I'm just not happy with it and k don't think I have the patience to do it again. Probably just gonna bite the bullet and have it done at a local shop. Can anyone reccomend a fair priced exhaust shop in sac?

Also, my flow master 40 series is huge and hangs down way bellow the frame rail. I need a shorter muffler or a small diameter tube muffler of sorts. Can anyone recommend me a small sized muffler that I could tuck up and away somewhere? Or a cheap tube style muffler? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because it will likely just get crushed by the rocks anyway. I like loud but am also looking to get some back pressure out of it seeing how I have no cat either. Recommendations?

Build thread HERE
Old April 5th, 2016, 22:52
NAXJA Forum User

Sounds like a cherry bomb is the way to go. I don't have experience with em, someone else will have to chime in on that. Dunno about the backpressure you'd get from running just the muffler. Do you have an issue with too much flow?
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:43
Sierra Chapter President

My "Hero" Blog

The shop i took mine to had a 50 series slim in the back. He sold it to me cheap. Its 3" thick. Sounds pretty good. I think its a three chamber. Its more than 2" shorter than the 40 series i had in there. Its above the bottom of the frame rails now. And no cherry bomb.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/m.../#.VwUE5shHanM

Last edited by GordoSmasho; April 6th, 2016 at 05:47.