NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.49 average. Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2010, 19:56
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My "Hero" Blog

1st time on your blog I think? anyway great pics and nice build up pics too and Im in dublin too, great bumper, i had to buy mine....
Old January 2nd, 2011, 19:33
NAXJA Member

Wow I almost forgot about my own blog. Updates to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothrDave View Post
1st time on your blog I think? anyway great pics and nice build up pics too and Im in dublin too, great bumper, i had to buy mine....
Thanks! I go to Dublin for school in the mornings. Surprised I haven't seen you around.

EDIT: I didn't happen to wave at you by in n out over by home depot on Friday, did I?

Build thread HERE
Old January 7th, 2011, 22:40
NAXJA Member

Finished up the bumper. I previously welded 3 vertical bars between the two horizontal bars for aesthetics and support, however, the lower tube (with 3 vertical pieces) was too close, and interfered with the crossmember. To fix this, I busted those 4 bars off with a BFH and re-notched the lower vertical pieces about 1/4" shorter. These new notches were much cleaner and straighter, and much much easier to weld.

Next on the list was to cap the end of the bumpers. I previously cut out some circle with a 1.5" hole saw. Despite the hole in the middle of then, I fully welded them onto the end, and filled the drill hole.

Finished up the other side, and then went back and attacked it with the grinder/flap disk.

I wanted the transition from the hoop/stinger to the side support bars to be as clean as possible. To do this, I simply welded it up, and ground it smooth with the flap disk.

All welded up, before paint:

The next day, I took it outside and painted it up. Stupid me, I used some walmart spray paint I had laying around, and it is already peeling a tiny bit around the welds.

Then I drilled some 3/4" holes, and threw on some D-rings. I will go back some other time and weld a plate or two sandwiching the holes for more support (1/2" thick instead of 1/4" thick).

Heres some overall shots:

Ill have another shot or two coming in a few days.

All comments, questions, or concerns are more than welcome.
Old January 7th, 2011, 22:46
NAXJA Forum User

Looks good, man. You've got mad skills.
Old January 7th, 2011, 22:55
NAXJA Member

Thanks Kelly. It was nice meeting you at the snow run last weekend. I love your jeep.
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:35
NAXJA Forum User

I'll give it to you when I change over to quads
Old January 8th, 2011, 18:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknxj View Post
I'll give it to you when I change over to quads
can i be second in line??

Kevin your Jeep is looking good!! I Love that front bumper, you did a great job on it. Now im waiting for you to start producing them so i can get one =p
Old January 11th, 2011, 21:41
NAXJA Forum User

nice bro diggin the bumper!
Old January 11th, 2011, 22:28
NAXJA Forum User

Nice looking bumper you built there. Pretty jealous.
Old January 11th, 2011, 23:40
NAXJA Forum User

xWhatever
Thats good looking stuff, man. Makes me want to get a tube bender & order some DOM!
What's next?
Old January 12th, 2011, 23:43
NAXJA Member

Thanks guys, the kind words are very much appreciated. Especially after the amount of hours put into the bumper :P

What's next?
Well I just received a nice little goodie in the mail, I will start installing it tomorrow, with hopes for all to go well so I can wheel it Monday.

Then, some time in future, a rear bumper will come along, as well as some possible suspension upgrades.

Right now my main focus is to wheel as much as possible while allowing my money tree to grow, eventually resulting in more goodies.

Build thread HERE
Old January 13th, 2011, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

I'm pretty sure my money tree hasn't even sprouted yet lol.

What are your ideas for that bumper??? Oh and what welder are you using.. I'm going to be in the market fore one this summer =)
Old January 13th, 2011, 23:49
NAXJA Member

It will be a high clearance style that wraps around and will require me to cut and fold my quarter panels. Very simple design, yet somewhat hard to describe... Especially if I'm the one doin the talking.

Im not sure how to tie the rear bumper in to the "frame" rails though. Anybody have any ideas? Or does it even really need to be tied in to the frame? If you have an aftermarket rear bumper, please let me know how it mounts.

I'm melting metal with a Clarke 130EN mig welder running flux core wire. For the price, his machine is hard to beat, although I may be getting rid of it around summer time to replace it with a 220 unit when I build my roll cage. A Hobart Handler 187 to be exact.

Build thread HERE
Old January 14th, 2011, 00:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post
It will be a high clearance style that wraps around and will require me to cut and fold my quarter panels. Very simple design, yet somewhat hard to describe... Especially if I'm the one doin the talking.

Im not sure how to tie the rear bumper in to the "frame" rails though. Anybody have any ideas? Or does it even really need to be tied in to the frame? If you have an aftermarket rear bumper, please let me know how it mounts.

I'm melting metal with a Clarke 130EN mig welder running flux core wire. For the price, his machine is hard to beat, although I may be getting rid of it around summer time to replace it with a 220 unit when I build my roll cage. A Hobart Handler 187 to be exact.
I know exactly what you mean!! there is a guy on JF that did the same as you. Except he bought a JCR bumper and added onto it. I would say you could start by maybe buying some JCR tie in brackets and go from there?? or make them yourself??

If i get a welder im gonna go 220. My dad and i are probably gonna go in on it together.
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:06
NAXJA Forum User

I recently posted some pics of my rear JCR tie-in brackets on the Frog Blog. I cannot see the pics where I am now, but if you look through some of the last few pages you'll find them. Essentially, they add strength to the rear bumper by connecting the bumper to the nut strips on either side where the hitch or fuel tank skid would mount. I'm sure you can fabricate something much stronger, but the JCR straps would certainly work to get you started.