NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:46
NAXJA Forum User

Renix data charts

I'm having an issue with my 89 Cherokee running REALLY rough. There is blue smoke coming out the exhaust and it's idling lower and lower until it's almost sputtering out. One of the mechanics at my work loaned me a diagnostic tool to plug into the pre-OBD computers so I can see if any sensors are out of range or not reading at all. I've been trying to find a data readout chart to match up to the data I'll be getting from the device, but I've only been able to find one or two small sections. Does anybody have or know where to find the full readout chart?
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:28
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Renix data charts

No idea re: charts.

What are your compression numbers?
Old April 24th, 2015, 22:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthanaas View Post
I'm having an issue with my 89 Cherokee running REALLY rough. There is blue smoke coming out the exhaust and it's idling lower and lower until it's almost sputtering out. One of the mechanics at my work loaned me a diagnostic tool to plug into the pre-OBD computers so I can see if any sensors are out of range or not reading at all. I've been trying to find a data readout chart to match up to the data I'll be getting from the device, but I've only been able to find one or two small sections. Does anybody have or know where to find the full readout chart?
Go into "state displays" where you can read the sensor values. Post the results up.
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Well, unfortunately it seems the device I was loaned is for OBD-1 vehicles and not compatible with the Renix. So I'm back to standard trouble shooting. I was at a loss as to where to go next in my investigation (which is why I wanted to see the running values). Any advice?

Symptoms: Running rough, idling low, RPMs drop after revving to the point where the engine dies.
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

Update: Idling is alright initially. Just after revving high, I can see smoke or exhaust seeping out over the engine. It could be from the exhaust manifold or the fuel injectors. I recently tried to swap out the injectors, but they are stock and o-rings are all in good shape. While crawling around underneath, I found my entire exhaust line is rusting.
Old April 25th, 2015, 17:05
NAXJA Member

Pretty much the only scanner that will help is the SnapOn MT3500 "brick"
Old April 25th, 2015, 17:24
NAXJA Member

I don't know if RENIX even has live data
Old April 25th, 2015, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

What I understand from my research and talking to various mechanics in the area, the pre-OBD vehicles like the RENIX will tell you the real time sensor readings. Since it doesn't store data, there aren't any error codes, but it still has data coming and going. Plugging in is essentially supposed to let you view the data streams. I know where to plug in, I just don't have the device I thought I did. It is designed for vehicles in this era, but it seems specialized for OBD-1. :/
Old April 25th, 2015, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I don't know if RENIX even has live data
Sure does.